Monday, October 5, 2009

Food Storage Spaghetti

OK, I'll admit it.  The hamburger wasn't from my food storage.  I could have used freeze-dried hamburger, or home-dehydrated hamburger.  But I thawed some hamburger I had in the freezer.  So this isn't entirely food-storage spaghetti.

Before crumbling and cooking the hamburger, I set about 1/2 cup mixed freeze-dried green peppers, freeze-dried celery, and dehydrated onion to soaking.  I browned and crumbled the hamburger (seasoned with 3-4 shakes of Johnny's Seasoning Salt) and dumped in the soaked veggies.  Then I added 4 cups of water, 1 cup tomato powder, and 1/2 cup Spaghetti Seasoning (from Emergency Essentials).  As I whisked in the tomato powder, the sauce thickened more than I wanted, so I dumped in more water until I liked the consistency--about 1/2 cup.  I simmered for 15 minutes, and it was done.

I really liked the spaghetti.  OK, it wasn't Preggo, but it was tasty.  I didn't notice that acidy taste I've found when using tomato powder before, so either the cooking or the seasonings got rid of it.

I just dumped the tomato powder right into the water in the pan.  It seemed to dissolve fine, with no clumping.  I just whisked it in with a wire whisk. 

The label on the tomato powder can says to mix a 2:1 ratio of water and powder for tomato sauce.  But remember that when you use tomato sauce from a can, you also add water.  So you really need a 4:1 or so ratio of water to tomato powder for your spaghetti sauce.

It's nice to know that if I have to eat entirely from my food storage I can still have tasty spaghetti.  It'll be even better once I get some food-storage hamburger.

No comments:

Post a Comment