Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Rolled Oats

This morning I tried the Provident Pantry Rolled Oats I got from Emergency Essentials, and I have to admit that I don't like them as much as those from Quaker Oats.  It's entirely possible that I simply prefer the Quaker Oats rolled oats more because that's what I'm used to.

The ones from EE look like they weren't rolled as much as the ones from QO; the kernals are smaller and thicker.  It takes a little longer to cook them.  And the resulting cereal consists of more discreet kernals with runnier fluid.  The QO oats cook up with more oat goo between the kernals  There is nothing wrong with the EE oats; I just prefer the QO rolled oats, or the rolled oats in the bulk bin at Fred Meyer (which are more like the QO oats).

So now I wonder whether the QO rolled oats will store well in re-used #10 cans with the plastic lids.  I doubt that they'd store as well as the EE ones sealed in the #10 cans.  But I'd think they will last at least for a year, especially if I fill the can right up to the top and put plastic wrap over the oats. 

Maybe I ought to fill up a can with QO rolled oats and put it away for a year.  Then I can see how they are after the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment