Friday, October 16, 2009

Quesadillas made with Freeze Dried Cheddar Cheese

This morning I made a quesadilla with my freeze-dried cheddar cheese, and it was really good.

Here's how I did it:

First, I measured out 1/2 cup freeze-dried cheddar cheese.  I put it in a 2-cup measuring cup, covered it with warm water, and set it to soak for 5 minutes.

Then I heated my griddle.  It goes over two burners on my stove, so I have room to cook 2 tortillas at the same time.  I lightly oiled the griddle and put on the 2 tortillas.

When the timer went off I drained the cheddar cheese and left it draining until I needed it.

The half of the griddle that sits on the big burner always gets hotter than the half that sits on the little burner.  But that's good because the tortilla on that half of the griddle cooks faster.

When the tortilla over the big burner started to get brown, I turned it over and plopped the drained cheese on it.  I spread the cheese evenly over the tortilla, to within 1/2 inch of the edges. 

By then the other tortilla was ready, so I put it over the cheese, cooked side towards the cheese.

By the time that was done, the bottom of the first tortilla was ready, and the cheese was partly melted--enough to stick to the top tortilla--so I turned the quesadilla over. 

I let it sit for a minute or so until the bottom was brown, then took it off the griddle.  Let cool for a minute, then cut into six pieces with a pizza cutter.

That's it.  Easy peasy quesadilla with freeze-dried cheddar cheese.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I forgot. You can scramble up an egg and add that to the cheeze to make an egg and cheese quesadilla.

    ReplyDelete