Monday, December 21, 2009

There's a new edition of Gaia's Garden

I got the first edition of Toby Hemenway's Gaia's Garden:  A Guide to Homescale Permaculture several years ago, and I found it the most useful gardening book I've ever read.

I'd been trying to decide what to do with my 3 1/2 acres.  I was toying with several different ideas:  native garden:  edible ornametals:  a native forest garden, etc.  But I couldn't make up my mind.

Then I got a copy of Gaia's Garden and learned that I could combine all those ideas into an easy-to-maintain (although not necessarily easty to create) garden that would be beautiful, produce food for me, and provide food and habitate for wildlife. 

There are other permaculture books out there, but I found this one to be the most helpful.  Mr. Hemenway was able to present the information in a way that was both interesting to read, and made me feel like I had everything I needed to get started.

I haven't seen the 2nd edition yet, but I'm excited to get a copy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment