Monday, December 28, 2009

Onion Soup Mix from Mix-A-Meal Cookbook

I've used the Onion Soup Mix from the Mix-A-Meal cookbook a few times, now, and I have to say that I really like it. 

My favorite way to eat it is in a chip dip.  And it couldn't be easier to make.  Just mix 2 tsp Onion Soup Mix into 1 cup sour cream.  It doesn't have a really strong flavor, but it does have a really good flavor.  Of course, you could make it stronger by adding more soup mix.

I also tried using the Onion Soup Mix in the Alfredo Delight recipe from the same book.  This recipe uses both the White Sauce Mix and the Onion Soup Mix.  I wasn't really crazy about this recipe, but I think with some tweaking it would be really good.  First, the White Sauce Mix isn't rich enough.  I know, I know, people are trying to cut down on fat and stuff.  But come on...I'll reduce fat in my spaghetti sauce.  But there's no point in having something like Alfredo if you try to wimp it down so much it doesn't taste like Alfredo.  So...more powdered milk, a probably more butter or margarine powder, in the White Sauce Mix.  Or maybe, more White Sauce Mix and less water in the Alfredo Delight recipe.  And I'm sorry, but Alfredo needs more than a little sprinkling of Parmesan Cheese.  It needs lots of Parmesan Cheese.  So next time I'm grating a bunch of it and tossing it in.  That ought to make really good Alfredo sauce.

The last thing I tried with the Onion Soup Mix is baked chicken.  Mix-A-Meal has a recipe for baked chicken mix, and it was OK, but it wasn't great.  So this time, I just dumped some flour into a 1-gallon zip-lock bag, and added some Onion Soup Mix and some Johnny's Seasoning Salt.  Then I shook the chicken pieces in that mixture, baked it for an hour at 350 degrees, and it was wonderful.  Really made the house smell good, too.

So...what's the Onion Soup Mix recipe?  I'll share it with you, but you should really get this book.  It's only about $15.00 and it has a lot of stuff I'm not sharing with you, including several more recipes using the Onion Soup Mix.  You can get it from Amazon.com.

Onion Soup Mix
2/3 cup dehydrated chopped onions
1/2 cup beef bouillon (soup base)
1/2 cup dehydrated buttor or margarine
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. parsley flakes

No comments:

Post a Comment