Monday, December 21, 2009

Brownie Mix

My goal is to find or develop a brownie mix recipe that makes awesome fudgie brownies, and you need to add only water.  I don't have that yet.  But here's a recipe that you can add only butter and water.  I modified a recipe I found on the Internet.  I actually found the same recipe on several different sites, so I don't know who originated the recipe. If anyone knows who originally created the recipe, please add a comment and I'll update this post.



Brownie Mix Recipe:
Mix together
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 Tbsp whole egg powder

Brownie Recipe
1 recipe brownie mix
3/4 cups softened butter ( 1 1/2 sticks)
1/4 - 1/2 cups water

Beat softened butter with 1/4 cup water until well mixed and fluffy.  Add the brownie mix and mix with a spoon.  You may need to add more water to make a thick batter (I needed another 1/4 cup of water).  Turn into greased 13 x 9 baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Cut when cool.

For thicker brownies, back in greased 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking pan for 30-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Options:
You could make these into a health food by substituting white bean flour for some of the flour.  Or at least, I tell myself that makes them a health food!

You can make several batches of mix at one time, and store them in individual 1/qt freezer bags.

You can make the mix without nuts for longer storage, then use fresh nuts.

This mix will probably store longer if kept in the refrigerator.  I store my nuts in the freezer for longest storage.

I think adding some powdered milk to the recipe would make a richer brownie, but I haven't tried it yet.

My next experiment will be to replace the 3/4 cups butter with butter powder and water.  But I don't have butter powder yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment