Monday, December 21, 2009

Cheese Crackers from Food Storage

Last night I tried making cheese crackers from my food storage.  I used the Biscuit Mix recipe from the "Mix-A-Meal" book, which is a home-made version of Bisquick.  Did I mention this before?  It makes really good biscuits.  Well, they weren't as crispy as I'd like, but they sure taste good.



You can use Bisquick in this recipe, if you don't have home-made biscuit mix.

Recipe:
2 cups biscuit mix
1/2 cup water
seasoning salt
freeze-dried cheddar cheese

Put about 1/2 - 1 cup freeze-dried cheddar cheese in a liquid measuring cup or a bowl.  Cover with water and let sit for about a minute.  Drain well.

Mix the biscuit mix with water to make a dough.  Pinch off about 1/4 of the dough and roll out very thin.  Using a pancake turner or the rolling pin, place the rolled-out dough on a greased baking sheet.  Sprinkle with seasoning salt and the moistened cheddar cheese.  Use pizza cutter to cut into squares, rectangles, or diamonds.

Bake in 425-degree oven for 7 minutes.  Remove and cool on wire cooling racks.

Repeat with more biscuit dough.

I tried using the cheddar cheese without moistening it, and it just baked into hard little chunks.  They tasted good, but didn't stick to the crackers.  I didn't want to thoroughly reconstitute them because I wanted them to be dried after baking.  But moistening them for about a minute seemed to work well.  You can see from the picture that they melted and stuck to the crackers.  And they were nice and dry.

You can sprinkle with herbs rather than cheese and seasoning salt.  I made some by sprinkling with Mrs. Dash, but I wasn't crazy about them.

I also tried sprinkling some cinnamon and sugar, but I wasn't crazy about them, either.  Too bad.

Obviously, you can be as adventurous as you want and try sprinkling anything you want.  Or maybe add something to the dough itself.  Crumbled bacon comes to mind.  Oh the possibilities!

I used 1/2 whole wheat flour when I made the biscuit mix (a big advantage of making your own):
1 1/8 cups unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
5 Tbsp dehydrated shortening
3 Tbsp powdered buttermilk
2 Tbsp whole egg powder
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp baking soda

I think replacing some of the flour with white bean flour would be awesome.  It would add protein and fiber to the biscuit mix.  But I ran out.  I better order some more soon.  BTW, I've used the white bean flour in cookies.  The dough has a slight uncooked-bean flavor, but it goes away in the cookies.  So white bean flour is great to add to lots of baked items to make them more nutritious.  I get mine from Bob's Red Mill (see the link at the right side of the blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment