Sunday, August 29, 2010

Home Made Mylar Packets for Seasonings

This post describes how I made the packets to hold the seasonings in the rice-mix post.

Some time ago I purchased a mylar bag from Emergency Essentials.  These bags are intended to be used inside plastic buckets for storing grains and things.  But I'd heard that you can seal them with a regular iron--like for ironing clothes.  So I decided to give it a try.

The bag is (well, it was) 20" X 30".  I wanted by packets to be 4" X 6", so I cut a 6" strip off the top of the bag.
Then I measured 5 4-inch sections across the strip, but I didn't cut yet.  I wanted to seal along the long edge before I cut the 4" sections, so the pieces wouldn't come apart.  I tried to make my seams about the same width as the factory seams.

Once I sealed along the bottom and cut the sections, I just sealed the both sides of each packet.

I put the labels on while the packets were still flat--before I filled the them.  Then I filled them and sealed the top.   I also snipped a small notch part-way through the side seam near the top, so I can just rip them open when I use them.



It took me a while to get the seams sealed, because I was trying to use the lowest possible setting.  I was worried the mylar would melt on my iron.  But finally I turned it up to the "synthetic" setting, and that worked well.

I'm actually quite pleased with the way they turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment