Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Haven't Canned Anything in 30 Years

I've decided I'm going to can some produce from my garden this year.  It seems a great way to store food without spending a lot of money.  The only problems I can see are growing enough food to store, and storing it so the jars won't break if we have an earthquake.

I bought some cucumber seed so I can make pickles--something I haven't done since high school.  I'm looking forward to making both dill and sweet pickles.  And of course dilly beans.  Yum!

My younger brother (he doesn't like it when I call him my "little brother"--but I refuse to call myself his "older sister") sent me a link where they collect info on you-pick farms.  They have links for all kinds of fruit and vegetable farmers.  And they have lots of articles on canning and otherwise preserving foods.  Here's the link:
http://www.pickyourown.org/  I think this is good for people who don't have a lot of space to grow food, or maybe just don't have the time or desire to garden, but want to preserve food.  I'll look for fruit produces because my fruit trees aren't bearing yet.  But maybe I'll get some good veggies, too, for freezing or dehydrating.  Oh, and they have some links for farmer's markets, too.

Since it's been so long since I've canned anything, I'm going to start with only water-bath canning this year.  I picked up a copy of the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, and it has a ton of yummy recipes that I'm eager to try.  "Mom's Apple Pie in a Jar" is an apple jam that sounds wonderful.  And who can resist "Carrot Cake Jam"?  Not me.




No comments:

Post a Comment